[Samba] Problems accessing shares with dollar signs

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 17:07:17 GMT 2006

I'm having various problems accessing shares with dollar signs in
their names (e.g., \\server\c$); however, there doesn't seem to be
much consistency to the types of problems.

Details:

>From my CentOS 4.3 box running Samba 3.0.21b, mounting \\server\data$
(a Windows Server 2003 DC) or \\domain\data$ (the same share, shared
over DFS) using mount.cifs doesn't give any errors, and I can do an ls
of the top-level directory, but when I try to do an ls of a
subdirectory, I get the top-level directory listing again.

>From the same box, using smbget or smbclient's mget command works.

>From the same box, using smbclient's tar command fails; it gets a
directory listing of the subdirectory, but it tries to open each file
in that subdirectory as if it were a directory, and so it gives the
following error, repeated for each file:
NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY opening remote file
\WinAudit\wa_xml2html.xsl (\WinAudit\)
On other directory trees, it gives errors similar to the following:
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND opening remote file \Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Pro
fessional\Common\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Uninstall\UninstManager.dll (\Adobe\Adobe Acr
obat 7.0 Professional\Common\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Uninstall\)
(It looks like the first error message is for files in top-level
subdirectories and the second error is for files nested more deeply in
subdirectories.)

Oddly enough, \\server\c$ appears to work, even though other shares
(\\server\data$, \\server\software$) don't.

>From my Fedora Core 5 box running Samba 3.0.23, mount.cifs gives the
same symptoms.  smbclient gives errors similar to the following upon
cd'ing into most (but not all) subdirectories and then running ls:
client_check_incoming_message: received message with mid 11 with no
matching send record.
SMB Signature verification failed on incoming packet!
As a result, neither smbclient's mget nor its tar work.

I don't even know for sure that the dollar signs are the source of the
problem, since some shares and some directories work and others don't.

Any help would be appreciated.  Packet dumps available upon request.  Thanks.

Josh Kelley