[Samba] A user having the same name as the samba server can not connect

medzner at free.fr medzner at free.fr
Wed Jul 26 08:25:05 GMT 2006

Hi
I discovered for the first time the following issue: a user having the same name
as the samba server can not connect to any shared directory.

I encountered this issue in the following configuration:
+ Samba server (samba-3.0.23-1.fc5) running on a Fedora Core 5 distribution.
+ Server hostname = "bill"
+ "bill" is also a user configured on the server
+ I added a different password for "bill" with the smbpasswd command
+ Samba configuration file:
[global]
        workgroup = my_domain_name
        server string = My Server
        load printers = no
        security = user
        dns proxy = no

[htdocs_odin]
        comment = HTDOCS Directory
        path = /usr/local/bill/htdocs
        valid users = bill
        public = no
        writable = yes

I solved this issue by changing the name of the server.
However, if anyone had an explanation of this issue, I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance,
Medzner