[Samba] Repeated logon prompt in NT 4.0

Roel Slegers deroel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 08:26:33 GMT 2006

We have one site currently testing Samba 3.0.21c as PDC on HP-UX 11.00
with OpenLDAP.

Since their migration to Samba, they regularly cannot logon to NT4
SP6a workstations, because the logon prompt immediately returns after
typing in username and password, without any error message at all.
After restarting the NT workstation, logging on works again.
Their XP workstations do not have this problem.

The problem appears identical to the one described in
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;220881 but the solution
given there does not help.

To me this seems to be an NT4 bug, because the workstation does not
even seem to try to contact the domain controller (the logon prompt
returns really instantly after clicking OK).
But before migration (from ASU) to Samba, they did not have this
problem, so it does seem Samba related somehow.
BTW the NT4 machines were not changed in anyway for the Samba migration.
Any ideas?
Thanks.