[Samba] upgrading and moving to different servers

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Jul 25 15:23:15 GMT 2006

Adamiec, Larry wrote:
> I am currently running Version 2.2.8 on a Solaris 9 SPARC machine.  I
> need to move my Samba server to a Solaris 10 SPARC machine.  I would
> like to install Version 3.0.23a on the Solaris 10 machine from source.
> I need to install from source because I need to change the prefix from
> /usr/local/samba to /opt/servers/samba.
>
> Do I need to worry about other configuration options?
> Can I use my old smb.conf file?
> Should I just FTP my old version to the new machine and upgrade to
> Version 3.0.23a?
>
> Anything else I need to worry about?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Larry

You haven't told us what role your server plays. This is an important
item!  :)

I can't answer  all of your questions, but you need to worry about
transferring your security files as well. Samba 2.2.x used the smbpasswd
file. Samba 3.x prefers (defaults) to using TDB, which is a lot faster
if you have more than a few users.

I'd also start with the sample smb.conf and modify it to fit your
configuration. You should be able to just copy your share information to
the new file, but you may want to look closely in the global section for
other options that may need changing.

Samba 3 is much better in all roles than Samba 2.2 was. It integrates
much better into a Windows domain and also makes a better domain controller.

Check out the Samba Howto collection and/or Samba by example at
www.samba.org to get a feel for how Samba 3 operates.