[Samba] Samba 4 Test deployment with SWAT

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 06:00:05 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:09 +0000, Rainer Shiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    We are testing out Samba 4 TP2 release. We have configured Samba4 on an
> i386 running Linux 2.6.12.6.

We have come along way since TP2, and while we have not made another TP
release, it would be worth downloading current SVN, and giving that a
shot.

> We are trying to get the SWAT GUI functional in this system,
> but it refuses login with the message
>
> *Login failed: Undetermined error - please try again
> *
> Trying as 'root' and root password on the local machine or
> trying as any another user  fails too with this same error message.
>
> After configure, make and make install successfully Samba 4 in
> /usr/local/samba4
> we ran the provision command as below and the output is as below.
>
>  ./setup/provision  --adminpass=testpass --domain=testdomain --realm=testrealm
> Provisioning for testdomain in realm testrealm
> Using administrator password: testpass
> Setting up smb.conf
> Setting up secrets.ldb
> Setting up keytabs
> Setting up hklm.ldb
> Setting up sam.ldb attributes
> Setting up sam.ldb schema
> Setting up display specifiers
> Setting up sam.ldb templates
> Setting up sam.ldb data
> Setting up sam.ldb users and groups
> Setting up DNS zone: testrealm
> Please install the zone located in
> /usr/local/samba4/private/testrealm.zone into your DNS server
> All OK
>

> Here the testrealm, testdomain are not present in the environment.
> ie. We dont have a domain setup in this environment. (#dnsdomainname returns
> (none))

You should use a 'real' realm name.  At least test.example.com, or some
other correctly dotted name.

> We have had success in running Samba 3.0.2 successfully in the same
> environment.
> (Linux 2.6.12.6 in a different system)

DNS really needs to work, and to match for Samba4 to do anything useful.
That is why we provide the zone file (yes, these requirements are higher
than Samba4, because we are trying to provide AD login).

> So what else need to be done to enable login thro' SWAT GUI.
>
> Is SWAT bundled along with 'smbd' in Samba 4 ?

Yes.

> Is 'smbpasswd' utility in Samba 3.0.2 removed in Samba 4 or again brought
> into 'smbd' itself?

I added a quick script in setup/setpasswd to set passwords, but the lack
of good management tools is one of the many things we need to improve in
Samba4.

> Is 'nmbd' also now (Samba 4) part of 'smbd' itself?

Yes.

> Please let us know what changes have to be effected to login
> thro' SWAT GUI.

You should be able to log in with the password supplied to provision,
after selecting the domain from the list.  Otherwise, check the logs for
reasons why 'root' isn't accepted.

Andrew Bartlett