[Samba] Failed to set servicePrincipalNames (Samba+Solaris 10+NISplus+ADS+DNS)

Brian Gregg bdgregg+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jul 19 14:45:02 GMT 2006

When joining our Solaris 10 Samba 3.0.23 system to ADS via...

# /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -U Administrator
Administrator's password:

Using short domain name -- ULS
Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Only NTLM authentication will be
possible.
Please ensure that the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.
Joined 'KRAKEN' to realm 'ULS.NT.PITT.EDU'

Our Unix system FQDNS name is kraken.library.pitt.edu
Our Windows ADS realm is ULS.NT.PITT.EDU.
Our Active Directory DNS Tree starts at NT.PITT.EDU as we (Pitt) did not
want to integrate the existing DNS tree with the Active Directory DNS
Tree. An Option that is defined by Microsoft.

We can not put our UNIX system under the Active Directory Tree as it
exists in a Solaris NIS+ configuration where the other UNIX systems are
located in the library.pitt.edu DNS Tree.

Thus neither setting the DNS domain to the AD domain or vise versa is
possible.

My question is - given this setup what problems will we run into?

Thanks for any info.

Brian Gregg.

 --

| Brian D. Gregg                 |                              |