[Samba] setdriver fails with WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Flavien flavien at freesurf.fr
Thu Jul 20 11:50:07 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm using samba 3.0.22 on a Linux/Debian machine.

I'm trying to get printer drivers on the server automatically picked by
the XP clients on the server.

    $ rpcclient  localhost -U flavien -c 'enumdrivers'
    Password:
    [Windows NT x86]
    Printer Driver Info 1:
            Driver Name: [hp1]

The user "flavien" has PrintOperator privileges :
    $ net rpc rights list flavien -U flavien
    Password:
    SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

I try to set the driver to the printer :
    $ rpcclient  localhost -U flavien -c 'setdriver hp1 hp1'
    Password:
    result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Something that looks suspicious to me :

    $ rpcclient  localhost -U flavien -c 'getdriverdir "Windows NT x86"'
    Password:
            Directory Name:[\\LOCALHOST\print$\W32X86]

Shouldn't it be the netbios name of the server instead of LOCALHOST ?

FWIW, the /etc/samba/drivers dir is writeable by "flavien"

I'm pretty stuck here now. Any help appreciated.

Flavien.