[Samba] setdriver fails with WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Thu Jul 20 15:47:42 GMT 2006

Flavien,

I had a similar problem about a month ago.  Just like you, I could
execute  "rpcclient enumdrivers", but "rpcclient setdriver" resulted in
the WERR_ACCESS_DENIED.  In my case, I am using winbind to the fullest
so that our Windows sysadmin can control access to folders within shares
based on Active Directory security group memberships.  That means that
when I mount a share, I'm not identified as simply "rtanner" but rather
as "CATNET\rtanner", CATNET being the name of the domain.

I resolved the WERR_ACCESS_DENIED issue in rpcclient by specifying
"CATNET\rtanner" as a printer admin and authenticating as the user
"CATNET\rtanner" rather than simply "rtanner" in rpcclient.  The only
oddity was that the global setting in "printers" was not enough.  I had
to explicitly declare "CATNET\rtanner" as a printer admin in each
printer definition in smb.cfg.  And after that, everything was honky dory.

Hope that helps.

-- Rob

--

Rob Tanner