[Samba] winbindd... PANIC: could not fetch our SID, did we join?

samantha.thompson at bioinformation.co.uk samantha.thompson at bioinformation.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 11:00:02 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have installed samba on my freebsd machine which is connected to my router and I am trying to access the harddrive of the freebsd machine with this winxp machine, which is also connected to the router (by wireless connection).
I also have swat enabled and I can initiate nmbd and smbd, however winbindd will not run.
When I try to run winbindd from the freebsd command line like so:
winbindd -d 2 -i
It ends after outputing the line:
'PANIC: Could not fetch our SID - did we join?

When I try net getlocalsid it produces the SID number, so I'm not sure where the problem is.
Thanks for reading.

ST