[Samba] WINS server configuration

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 12 14:46:19 GMT 2006

Hello Craig et al,

>It's so clear in black and white in the documentation - why do you
>continue to fail to read the documentation...
>
>" This line must not be set in the smb.conf file of the Samba server
>acting as the WINS server itself. If you set both the wins support = yes
>option and the wins server = <name> option then nmbd will fail to start.
>"
>
>http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2554593
>
>is this a Cornell thing?

Interesting.  Thanks for the link, Craig, but I think it is puzzling and
interesting that the behavior of our Samba server appears to contradict
what is written in the documentation that you are referring to.  I have no
idea why that would be, not being a Samba expert, but I can tell you for
certain that I do indeed have both the 'wins support = yes' and 'wins
server = <ip address>' commands in my smb.conf, and nmbd is running just
fine and everything is working.

Best wishes,
Eric