[Samba] can't contact domain, problem fixed (?)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jul 12 02:01:25 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 14:43 -0400, Eric Evans wrote:
> >----
> >couldn't start nmbd because nmbd is already running...you probably need
> >to fix that.
>
> Yes I'm not sure where that's coming from but I should fix that.
>
> >I don't know about your smb.conf socket address =
> >
> >I don't ever use that.
>
> Looking back over my smb.conf, I'm not sure why I put that in there back
> when I first set up Samba for our lab.  Maybe at the time I thought it was
> a desirable option for some reason, but from what I read in the
> documentation now it seems that this option is only useful for multi-homed
> machines, which we don't have.
>
> Well I finally got the thing to work!  At least on the one client that I've
> tried it on so far.  What I did was to delete the socket address command
> from the smb.conf, and add 'wins server = 128.152.175.155'.
----
It's so clear in black and white in the documentation - why do you
continue to fail to read the documentation...

" This line must not be set in the smb.conf file of the Samba server
acting as the WINS server itself. If you set both the wins support = yes
option and the wins server = <name> option then nmbd will fail to start.
"

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2554593

is this a Cornell thing?

Craig