[Samba] Samba installation discrepancies

EHines eehines at comcast.net
Sat Jul 8 18:40:58 GMT 2006

Eric Evans wrote:
> Samba colleagues,
>
> I promise to limit my postings to this list to one message per day
> from now on, and to keep my messages focussed on very specific
> technical issues.  I think I have gotten over my initial panic at the
> weirdly broken Samba installation and am now in a troubleshooting mode.
>
> The drama of all my Samba 3 difficulties now seems to be due to a
> faulty Samba installation.  Symptoms are:
> bin/nmbd -V and bin/smbd -V both return version 2.2.7a, even though I
> did a complete installation of version 3.0.22 and the installation
> (including the 'make install') ran completely through to its
> completion with no error messages.  Also, nmbd is currently running
> but smbd is not running.  And when I try to run smbclient I get the
> messages
>
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset
> by peer.
> session request to PLEIADES failed (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset
> by peer.
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Read error: Connection reset by
> peer)
>
> My environment is Solaris 8.  Has anyone else had any difficulty
> getting Samba 3 to install properly on Solaris 8?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Eric

Which installation package did you use?  The one from samba.org, by the
Samba team, uses a default directory structure optimized purely for
Samba.  It's a standard structure, and it's usable just fine with any
OS.  However, there also are Samba rpm (etc) packages that are built by
the various OS folks that are optimized for their OS and use a directory
structure that these folks think is better (/e.g./, Novell builds an rpm
for Samba to run on SuSE that they think is a better directory
structure).  Aside from directory structure, all the sambas of a given
version are identical--only the rpm packages differ and only by where
each sends its files.  However, the differing/conflicting directory
structures can lead to problems like this.  Suggest you explore your
Solaris 8 and locate the files for Samba 2.2.7a (I assume that's your
original installation) and the files for the Samba3 you thought you
installed.  Your Samba3 installation probably is a solid installation;
however: I suspect your original version was optimized for Solaris, and
your upgrade version may have come from samba.org.  If that's the case,
I suggest you find the rpm (or the installation package type that Sun
uses) that's been built for Solaris 8 and install that, as the easiest
way out of this.

Eric Hines

--
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
	--Sun-Tzu