[Samba] Samba installation discrepancies

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 8 17:20:42 GMT 2006

Samba colleagues,

I promise to limit my postings to this list to one message per day from now
on, and to keep my messages focussed on very specific technical issues.  I
think I have gotten over my initial panic at the weirdly broken Samba
installation and am now in a troubleshooting mode.

The drama of all my Samba 3 difficulties now seems to be due to a faulty
Samba installation.  Symptoms are:
bin/nmbd -V and bin/smbd -V both return version 2.2.7a, even though I did a
complete installation of version 3.0.22 and the installation (including the
'make install') ran completely through to its completion with no error
messages.  Also, nmbd is currently running but smbd is not running.  And
when I try to run smbclient I get the messages

read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset by peer.
session request to PLEIADES failed (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset by peer.
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

My environment is Solaris 8.  Has anyone else had any difficulty getting
Samba 3 to install properly on Solaris 8?

Thanks very much,
Eric