[Samba] clarification needed: $ in machine name?

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 7 17:54:49 GMT 2006

Hello,

Sorry to be a pest, but I need to try to get some clarification of how the
machine name works when setting up a machine account on the Samba
server.  The Samba How-To page
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html#id2536400
talks about the "common error" of including the $ in the machine name on
the server machine.  However, all of the examples of PDC setup that I've
seen show machine accounts in the passwd file that DO have a $ at the end
of the machine name.  So, $ or no $?  The explanation on the How-To page is
confusing, when it says "The problem is only in the program used to make
the entry....Create a user without the "$".  Then use vipw to edit the
entry, adding the "$"".  This is perplexing.  Why would it make any
difference whether you put in the $ with vipw or some other editor?  And
why does the heading of this section say ""$" Cannot Be Included in Machine
Name?"  I don't quite get what the real technical issue is here.  I think
some more explanation is needed.

Eric