[Samba] W2K Login Problem

Liam Marshall computers at stmaurice.mb.ca
Fri Jul 7 15:13:47 GMT 2006

That does not appear to be the issue.  I use webmin all the time.

The problem I am having is that:
I did create machine accounts
I can login to samba pdc from a win2k machine
	But only if the user I login as has their primary group set to root.
	It must be some kind of permission thing.

If I have a user with a primary group of "staff" and attempt to login from a
machine, I get the following:

"the system could not log you on due to the following error:
"a device attached to the system is not functioning "try again or contact
your system administrator

If I go to the samba machine, and change the primary group of that user from
"staff" to "root" restart samba then attempt the login again on the same
win2k machine it goes straight in no problem

But this is a big problem.  No way do I want to make every user a member of
root,  I'd rather shoot myself now.

So what did I do wrong?

Something on the samba box must have permissions set to only allow root
users to execute the login, but where?

Haven't got a clue and totally lost

I really think my smb.conf is ok.  I even tried to manually create a test
user to see if the batch script that I used to add many users at one time
had somehow screwed up the users

Please please help.  I cannot continue setting up the school lab before
solving this issue