[Samba] Re: Re: Re: Re: setting up Samba server as a PDC

Steve A gmane at rowyerboat.com
Fri Jul 7 14:49:32 GMT 2006

Eric Evans wrote:
> I'm a bit worried about this.  I really don't like the idea of an account
> on the Sun that does not have a password associated with it.

Taken from the official howto:

" Manually creating a Machine Trust Account using this method is the
equivalent of creating a Machine Trust Account on a Windows NT PDC using the
Server Manager. From the time at which the account is created to the time
the client joins the domain and changes the password, your domain is
vulnerable to an intruder joining your domain using a machine with the same
NetBIOS name."

You should, therfore, use the add machine script in smb.conf.  The machine
account will be created on-the-fly as and when it's needed, and is the
recommended method.

Steve :)