[Samba] Print Cost Capture

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jul 5 16:03:34 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:42:16AM -0400, David Sonenberg wrote:
> My company would like to start capturing printing costs.  Is there a way
> to configure the printing interface to prompt users for a billing code?

You could use PyKota + PyKotIcon available from http://www.pykota.com
to do this.

Both are available under the terms of the GNU General Public License
of the Free Software Foundation.

PyKota runs on the print server side. It manages print accounting and
printing quotas.

PyKotIcon is a client side helper with which you can ask for any
information to the end user, for example a billing code, whenever
a print job passes through PyKota. This billing code can then be
used by PyKota to overwrite the one optionally present in the job
ticket (if you printed for example with 'lp -o job-billing=YourCode')

bye

Jerome Alet