[Samba] samba3 to samba3 domain membership failing

ahall at madasafish.com ahall at madasafish.com
Sun Jan 29 12:25:33 GMT 2006

anthony messinda wrote...

"what do you mean, "doesn't actually have a netbios name"?  you specify
one in your smb.conf file of the 3.0.10 server.  that name is then used
to generate an account for netbios_name$ on the 3.0.7 pdc."

I didn't realise a domain member required a NetBIOS name, only a domain
controller - so thanks for that. Clearly my knowledge of Windows networking needs
improving.

However, even after adding that in and restarting the server I still get the same
error.

The log on the domain controller says...

[2006/01/29 12:14:31, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:get_md4pw(244)
  get_md4pw: Workstation FS1$: no account in domain
[2006/01/29 12:14:31, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(571)
  Closing connections

FS1 is the NetBIOS name I have added to the server I wish to become a domain member.

Should it not create the machine account automatically? If so it's failing to do so.

Can it be created manually on the server acting as the PDC, just like when
creating a manual Windows client account...

useradd -d /dev/null -g machine -s /sbin/nologin -M FS1$
smbpasswd -a -m FS1

?

Thanks very much.

---- - Message sent via Madasafish Webmail - http://www.madasafish.com/ Up to 8Mb Broadband now from just £11.99 a month