[Samba] oplocks and Excel

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:21:06 GMT 2006

On 1/25/06, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:
> When they save open Excel files from Windows, they are prompted to
> overwrite the existing file. I mean, when they click the little disk
> icon or use Ctrl-S or File--Save. Excel would normally just write over
> the file, not check with an "are you sure?" prompt. But that's what
> they get.

This bug was fixed in Samba 3.0.11, IIRC.  If you don't want to
upgrade Samba, you should be able to get rid of the message by setting
your Excel workbooks for sharing.  (Under Excel's Tools menu, choose
Share Workbook.)  Microsoft's knowledgebase also describes the issue
at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/324491/en-us?; I
remember trying the fix they suggest there, but I can't remember if it
worked or not.

Regarding your oplocks question, we've left them on for everything but
Outlook .pst files (which sometimes had locking errors with oplocks
enabled) and have had no problems that I'm aware of, but others are
probably more qualified to speak on this.

Josh Kelley