[Samba] Re: SUSE 10.0 and firewall

Oygle nospam at jehoshua.biz
Thu Jan 19 09:05:25 GMT 2006

Hi Robert,

The Samba computer, and the Win XP computer that are on the LAN, both
sit behind a firewall.

So, it sounds like I don't need to have the firewall active at all on
the Linux box. I guess because I have always had a firewall on any Win
boxes (acting as an 'application' firewall, to enable/disable requests
going out from various software), that I just followed that pattern
and setup the firewall on the Linux box.

(Sometimes even Firefox goes to sites like newsrss.bbc.co.uk, and I
block that from the Win firewall, ... it just eats up bandwidth
otherwise).

So, as long as it is safe to disable the firewall completely, if that
will fix the Samba problem, then that's okay. (Still it must just be a
port that Samba needs to have open ?? ).

Thanks for your help,

Oygle