[Samba] SUSE 10.0 and firewall

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Jan 19 08:35:13 GMT 2006

Hi,
normally a samba server should stand behind a firewall, so you dont need
  a firewall turned on until you dont expect attacks from inside your
intranet.
In case your samba is running on the firewall machine itself, use the
suse firewall model with external dmz and internal zone with yast.
You can have more advanced firewall features with editing the firewall
stuff in  /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 and restart rcSuSEfirewall2
so read the faqs about suse firewall and yast.
Note, that every distro Firewall ( kernel 2.4 2.6 ) is based
on iptabels, so yast or else are only interfaces to make users happy
with iptables.
So you dont need the susefirewall, you can use either an other iptables
interface like i.e. shorewall ore else or write your own script.
There are many examples online for iptables.
Best Regards

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards