[Samba] 3.0.20 usermap script execution

Montenegro, Michael H (Michael) mhm4 at lucent.com
Wed Jan 4 23:11:45 GMT 2006

Thanks for your reply Jerry.
After reviewing the code, it seems like samba is sending both the unqualified name as well as the fully qualified name to address backwards compatibility.  Looking at the release notes from 3.0.8, I see that development decided to "only support reading the fully qualified username" for consistency with Kerberos. Therefore, user.maps should contain unix login to fully qualified user name mappings only.  I believe if the code was changed to only pass the fully qualified username to the username map script, it should not affect any functionality since the user.map is already being forced to be in the fully qualified domain format.

Michael Montenegro

P.S. "canonicalize" sounds made up. :^)

lib/username.c
/*******************************************************************
 Map a username from a dos name to a unix name by looking in the username
 map. Note that this modifies the name in place.
 This is the main function that should be called *once* on
 any incoming or new username - in order to canonicalize the name.
 This is being done to de-couple the case conversions from the user mapping
 function. Previously, the map_username was being called
 every time Get_Pwnam was called.
 Returns True if username was changed, false otherwise.
********************************************************************/

Samba 3.0.8 release notes:
======================
Change in Username Map
======================

Previous Samba releases would only support reading the fully qualified
username (e.g. DOMAIN\user) from the username map when performing a
kerberos login from a client.  However, when looking up a map
entry for a user authenticated by NTLM[SSP], only the login name would be
used for matches.  This resulted in inconsistent behavior sometimes
even on the same server.

Samba 3.0.8 obeys the following rules when applying the username
map functionality:

  * When performing local authentication, the username map is
    applied to the login name before attempting to authenticate
    the connection.
  * When relying upon a external domain controller for validating
    authentication requests, smbd will apply the username map
    to the fully qualified username (i.e. DOMAIN\user) only
    after the user has been successfully authenticated.