[Samba] samba 3.0.21a sarge

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jan 4 23:18:09 GMT 2006

On gio, 2006-01-05 at 09:53 +1100, Geoffrey Scott wrote:
> simo wrote:
> > I've uploaded 3.0.21a packages for sarge.
> > They will be available as soon as mirrors catch up.
> >
> > Have fun.
> > Simo.
>
> Simo,
> Where is the secrets.tdb file supposed to be?  /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb or
> /etc/samba/secrets.tdb

The samba source puts it in /etc/samba or PRIVATE, but the debian
packages put secrets.tdb in /var/lib/samba

As the packages are for sarge and I want to keep compatibility with the
distro packaging so that upgrades are painless I kept the FHS patches
that put secrets.tdb and passdb.tdb in /var/lib/samba instead
of /etc/samba.

> As per a recent post, every time that I do a net ads join it gets created in
> /var/lib/samba/

correct for Debian packages

> But according to Jerry in another post this shows where samba expects it to
> be:
>
> root at fpsyd:~# smbd -b | grep -i privat
>    PRIVATE_DIR: /etc/samba

I should probably fix this in the patch, would you please post a bug
against the packages in the bug-tracking system ?

> At any rate I created a symlink in to cope with this, but which is correct?

if you use sarge packages /var/lib/samba is the right place.

Simo.