[Samba] Guest username when using security = share

Ron Piterman rpiterman at gmx.net
Sat Jan 7 21:52:29 GMT 2006

Hi all,
I would like to setup samba to :
allow resource X to all users.
allow homes on auth. only.

When I set security = user, I get from my winXP boxes a login dialog
which enables username & password entry.

When I set security = share, browse from winXP the shared directory, and
then try to go to the home directory, the username in the XP dialog is
disabled allowing only Guest to login - how can I change that, so the
user name will be also enabled?

Thanx,
Cheers,
Ron

the global configuration:

[global]
         workgroup = WG2
         netbios name = ANGELA
         server string = angela
         security = SHARE
         log level = 2
         syslog = 0
         time server = Yes
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
         printcap name = cups
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
         domain master = No
         veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/