[Samba] Samba 2.2.2 and XP clients

GBanschbach at sandata.com GBanschbach at sandata.com
Fri Jan 6 23:12:09 GMT 2006

Hi all,

       I have successfully used Samba 2.2.2 on SCO for a couple of years
now.    I have found that it works well.   This is because 2.2.2 allows us
certain freedoms which we like:
       We can run it on the inside of a firewall, making everyone the guest
user ( security = share ), and I don't have to use an extra server to serve
up our Micro$ Access application.     We have installed the App at 3 other
clients.   At client #1,  all of the PC's run XP  at service pack 1.  At
the older clients, there is no XP at all.  We had an issue with oplocks at
client #1, until I set oplocks = False.   Then everything cleared up.
Now, I get a client with all XP at service pack 2, and nothing we do helps.
We have changed the registries on the clients ( using a utility from micro$
-  I might have to do it manually ),    The Windows consultant working with
us says it's good on his side.   We still see the oplock entries in the
client log files.   We have other issues, but this one is killing me.   I
have also had the network connections tested for integrity issues ( have
any cables been injured, or broken somehow ).    In order to rule out the
smb.conf,   I copied the one from client #1.   Could SP2 somehow be playing
a role?    We are experiencing DAILY database corruptions - not good for
credibility.    Two users in particular experience this corruption more
often, especially when both are on.     If anyone has any ideas to help me
further isolate the problem or wants to see logs ( or parts of logs ), let
me know.    I am trying to build 3.0.21, but will post my problems with
that in a separate post.      I can facilitate some of this via Chat - I
might get on this weekend.  My handle is glbny.

 Thanks very much in advance.