[Samba] Windows ACL modify ability?

Mike Partyka mpartyka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:46:30 GMT 2006

Forgot to include some more info that might be helpful.

OS: Fedora Core 4 (up-to-date)
Kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4smp
Samba 3.0.14a-2
Hostname: sand (192.168.0.8)

Windows server 2003 Std. (up-to-date)
*running on a VMWare workstation, running on a generic AMD 1.8Ghz system
Domain: mrpartyka.domain
Hostname: server01 (192.168.0.7)

*the Active Directory server and Samba server and both using NTP and are
within one minute of one another

The join seems to be functioning correctly, i get the expected output when
performing:
net ads info
net ads status -UAdministrator
getent passwd
getent group
wbinfo -u
wbinfo -g

I have not used those parameters other than the "nt acl support". I have
tried to keep it as simple as possible, and i did not understand those
settings to be necesssary to achieve the ability to modify ACL's from the
MMC. (i did set those parameters you mentioned and restarted the server, but
i continue to get "changes could not be saved, access is denied")

I set the baseline permissions from the linux console, that is the directory
is owned by root but i did a

chgrp "MRPARTYKA\Domain Users" /ftproot && chmod g+x /ftproot

to give any "domain users" to ability to write to the shared directory. I
know i can adjust permissions in this manner but a windows admin will be
administering going forward, which is why the ability to adjust through the
use of an MMC is valuable.

Thanks for the response Louis,