[Samba] Samba domain groups

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Feb 23 16:18:53 GMT 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 11:08, Bjørn Fahnøe wrote:
> So what is the correct procedure?
> 1 Install the server
> 2 install Samba
> 3 do a net groupmap list
> 4 if there are several instances of the same groups do af net
> groupmap cleanup 5 hope it did the trick
> 6 do: net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins"  unixgroup=root
> net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Users"   unixgroup=users
> 7 hope it works

Pretty much what I did to move from a Samba 2.x server to a new Samba
3.x server.  If you're replacing a previous PDC, you'll want the sid to
remain the same (or you'll have to rejoin the domain and suffer through
all new profiles, etc. - not good); so in that case I would add step
3.5: "net setlocalsid xxxxxx" (after, of course, getting the proper sid
from the old box). Once the you have the proper local sid set, then
step 4 should do the trick (it did for me).

Chris