[Samba] Linux smb client on a Windows 2000 LAN network

QUATERNION quaternion at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 23:39:11 GMT 2006

I recently set up a home network (workgroup Cunard) consisting of a LINUX
machine  (Berengaria) and a Windows XP Professional machine (Alaunia)
joined by a Linksys router.

I did NOT activate the Samba server on the Linux machine, although
Samba software is installed.  Also, I did not take any steps to configure
the Windows XP Professional machine, and I was quite surprised to
find the following sequence of folders on the Linux machine (Berengaria):

System -> Remote Places -> Samba Shares -> Cunard  ->
Alaunia  -> Shared Docs

where "Shared Docs" is the "Shared Documents" folder on the Windows
XP Professional machine.  Running "smbclient -L Alaunia" on the
Linux machine produced the following output:

############################

Domain=[TENSOR] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
Shared Docs Disk
Domain=[LUSITANIA] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------
Workgroup Master

I have several questions concerning this behavior:

1.  By default, does the LAN server on the Windows XP Professional machine
     broadcast all of its "Shared Documents" folder(s) via an SMB-compliant
     protocol? That's what appears to be happening.

2.  How is the Linux machine made aware that SMB-based resources are being
     broacast on its network if its SAMBA server is shut down.  Does SAMBA,
or
     some other software installed on it, permit it to act as an SMB client?

Thanx in advance for any and all help.