[Samba] Unable to access and browse a DFS tree

Theo Kanter theo at verkstad.net
Fri Feb 10 09:19:08 GMT 2006

Please help me understand why I am unable to connect to and browse the
newly configured DFS tree that I installed on my Samba server according
to the instructions found in Chapter 18. "Hosting a Microsoft
Distributed File System Tree" of the official how-to.

Irrespective of whether I try to access the dfs file tree from either
the local file browser (and choosing the SMB tree) or from windows, I
get a login dialog box and I do not understand why this is the case.
Moreover, no userid/password from either the Samba server or the Windows
machine with the share works.

I compiled samba (version 3.0.21b) with the option --with-msdfs. Below I
include smb.conf and fstab, showing how the share gets mounted via
smbfs, as well as an 'ls' showing the access rights and ownership of the
directory. The remote share on the Windows machine grants read access to
everyone.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Theo

--- smb.conf ---
[global]
        dos charset = ISO-8859-1
        unix charset = ISO-8859-1
        display charset = ISO-8859-1
        workgroup = VERKSTAD
        server string = Kanter Samba Server
        interfaces = eth0, 192.168.0.100/24
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = No
        guest account = theo
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        printcap name = cups
        os level = 33
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        host msdfs = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.0.0.1

[dfs]
        comment = DFS Share
        path = /export/dfsroot
        msdfs root = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = root

[myshare]
        comment = Theo's stuff
        path = /home/samba
        valid users = root, theo
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765
        guest ok = Yes

[mystore]
        comment = Theo's store
        path = /store
        valid users = root, theo
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765
        guest ok = Yes

[cdrom]
        comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
        path = /mnt/cdrom
        guest ok = Yes
        locking = No
        preexec = /bin/mount /mnt/cdrom
        postexec = /bin/umount /mnt/cdrom

# more /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#

/dev/hda6          /            reiserfs  defaults              1      0
/dev/hda5          swap         swap      defaults              0      0
/dev/hda7          /var         reiserfs  defaults              1      0
/dev/hda8          /home        reiserfs  defaults              1      0
/dev/hda1          /boot        reiserfs  defaults              1      0
/dev/hdb1          /store       reiserfs  defaults              1      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide 0      0
/dev/floppy/0      /mnt/floppy  vfat      user,noauto,unhide    0      0
proc               /proc        proc      defaults              0      0
devpts             /dev/pts     devpts    defaults              0      0
//lustigknopp/media /mnt/samba/lustigknopp/media smbfs
credentials=/home/theo/.smbpasswd 0 0

# End of file
#
#
# ls -l /export
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 Feb  8 18:23 dfsroot
# ls -l /export/dfsroot/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Feb  8 18:23 linka -> msdfs:lustigknopp\media
#