[Samba] Solaris ACL vs Unix permissions

linolil at equoria.net linolil at equoria.net
Thu Feb 9 16:30:38 GMT 2006

We are seeing a lot of inconsistant access behaviour on
our server since upgrading from 2.2.8a to 3.0.20.  The
bottom line is that the Unix group permissions on the
file system seem to be ignored.

[sharename]
        comment = shared files
        path = /export/directory
        force group = shared
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0774
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2., 192.168.3.

Did the behavior of "force group" change from 2.2.8a to
3.0.20?

When we set unix group restrictions on a folder or file,
using a different group from the one listed in "force
group", the unix access permissions do not work.  People
in the correct group do not get access.  This used to
work under 2.2.8a, but is now driving me crazy.

Linolil