[Samba] Profiles on different network?

Joel Larsson joel at rosafluffmoln.nu
Tue Feb 7 19:42:07 GMT 2006

Hello Everyone.

I have some trouble with my samba installation. I have two samba servers
and one windows 2003 server. I also have two networks on different
pysical locations, they are on different nets but everything is open
between them.  Lets call them location A and B.

On location A i have a samba server as PDC, and a windows 2003 server as
file server.
On location B i have a samba server as fileserver.

When people logon they always authenticate against the PDC. The profiles
are downloaded from Windows 2003 machine for users in location A and
from the sambaserver in location B for the users there.

My biggest headache is that when a user from location B visits location
A they cannot download the profile. There is no errormessage or
anything. It just becomes a "empty" profile.

When looking in the Profile handler thing in the System application the
type is set to roaming BUT the "type in use" is local.

I cannot figure out why this is. The other way around seems to work,
when people from location A visits location B.

The smb.conf from the machine at location B is at the bottom of the
message. I have looked around everywhere but cannot find any information
(I have tested alot of different configurations).

You guys are my last chance :)

Cheers,
Joel

[global]
workgroup = SMB
netbios name = luton
server string = Samba Server %v
hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/ntuser.*/NTUSER.*/
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
addprinter command = /usr/bin/smbaddprinter.pl
printing = cups
printer admin = @"Domain Admins"
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
map to guest = bad user
security = domain
password server = 192.168.1.1
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind cache time = 300
remote announce = 192.168.1.1
local master = yes
os level = 33
domain master = no
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
wins support = No
wins server = 192.168.1.1
dns proxy = yes

[home]
   comment = Hemkataloger
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   path = /share/home

[backup]
   comment = Backup
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   path = /share/backup
   write list = @"Domain Admins"

[groups]
   comment = Gruppkataloger
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   path = /share/groups
   write list = @"Domain Users"

[profiles]
    path = /share/profiles
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    csc policy = disable
    write list = @"Domain Users"
#       browseable = no
#       profile acls = yes
#       create mode = 0700
#       directory mode = 0700
#       read only = no
#       default case = lower
#       preserve case = no
#       short preserve case = no
#       case sensitive = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
   use client driver = No
   write list = @"Domain Admins" root

   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.

[print$]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes