[Samba] Profiles on different network?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Feb 8 22:58:08 GMT 2006

Hi Joel,
there is no magic which offers you the option
to store a profile on serveral servers,
the placement of the a users profile is i.e in the ad or ( when using
samba ) in ldap is a unique entry.
So if you use roaming Profiles, without caching them on the client machines
an you have i.e many offices connected
via i.e vpn and a user from Office A visits
Office B and his profile is on the win/samba server of his
home office A , he has to download it from there.
So this takes time depending of the connection speed and the size of
the profile.
To make this stuff run proper make sure that wins is working over
the whole network, and perhaps your internal nameserver setup.
Also if the speed of the vpn isnt quick enough, cause either
there is much other traffic or you have small bandwith in general
buggy routing, buggy nic , false configured firewalls on win clients
or gateways you will run into timeouts, and the win client decides
to give the user a default profile, to short the login time.
This is deeply hard stuff to configure, as so many functions are involved.
In your case i would guess that you have a wins problem in one way which
causes timeout at logon, so i would start here to debug,
for example let that user login with that empty profile in office b and
try thing like this \\profileserverofficeA\profilesuserpath\username (
you should find this path for that user with i.e usrmgr )
this must work ! If it isnt be sure that the cleint has the right win
entries and try nmblookup etc ( note ping is here not enough for debug *g)
Hope this helps

Best Regards

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen