[Samba] Questions about file system support in Samba

Chris Lounsbury clounsbury at co.missoula.mt.us
Sun Feb 5 15:30:09 GMT 2006

If I remember correctly from the documents I have read on samba.org the
smb client will only allow up to 2gig of information and for anything
larger than this you need to use cifs client.  Most of our shares don't
excede 2 gig so I haven't set this up myself but there is some good
documentation on how to do this and I have seen lots of postings saying
that with cifs they had no problems with large files
Chris

>>> "Hibbard Smith" <smitty at essnjay.com> 02/05/06 8:18 AM >>>
I tried to access these shares from Windows XP Pro SP2 and got identical
results.  Ext3 filesystems smaller than 2 GB work fine.  Anything bigger
than 2 GB and xfs filesystems of any size fails.

I guess I'm going to have to resort to reading code, posting on bugzilla
as
a bug and maybe switching to a Windows based server.  I really need to
get
this system up and doing its intended job.

I'd really like to hear from someone that they are actually exporting
ext3
filesystems larger than 2 GB and xfs filesystems and it's working.  If
they're doing so with the Fedora core 4 release, that would definitely
point
to something strange here.

Smitty
Hibbard T. Smith, JR