[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

charshman charshman at divus.org
Sat Feb 4 22:57:30 GMT 2006

Still pulling my hair out over this.  We moved from 'smbfs' to 'cifs' (/bin/mount -t cifs --verbose -o username=backup,password=OMITTED "//ables-dt/Documents" /backup) with identical results.  I've thrown together an example session with smbclient and a debug-10 logfile:

http://www.divus.org/?id=306

Some files are readable, others are not, despite the 'backup' user having been granted SeBackupPrivilege:

[root at matrix samba]# net rpc rights list accounts
Everyone
No privileges assigned

PPSbackup
SeBackupPrivilege

(For those just tuning in, 'matrix' is a Samba 3.0.21a PDC on a Windows domain, with an openldap/smbldaptools backed.  Everything else is working just fine, but, when matrix goes to mount Windows XP workstations' shares to do nightly backups, it's getting permissions problems accessing some but not all files, despite the fact that, to my understanding, SeBackupPrivilege is supposed to supercede all other considerations.)

Help?!  How would/could/did you implement a reliable Windows->Linux backup scheme?

Thanks,
Chris