[Samba] MSAccess can't cope with Samba printer set as default

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 3 01:49:16 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I've come across a really strange problem.  If I have a Samba printer
set as the default printer on a WinXP PC, I'm unable to print through
Microsoft Access.  Opening a database and hovering the mouse over the
'Print' button on the toolbar says no printer is installed, and clicking
'Print' on the file menu does nothing (no print dialog box, no error,
nothing.)

If I set any other non-Samba printer as the default, printing from
Access works fine - I can even go File | Print and select the Samba
printer and print to it successfully!  The problem only arises when the
Samba printer is set as the default.

I even tried setting up a printer on a Windows box with the *exact*
same PostScript drivers + PPD and this worked, so it's not a driver
issue, it seems to be Samba itself.

Has anyone come across this problem before?  Any ideas how to solve
it?  I'm running Samba 3.0.20 with 'security = user' under kernel
2.6.14.

Thanks,
Adam.