[Samba] errors joining win 2000 to samba pdc

Rob Beaty beatyrm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 21:46:30 GMT 2006

Server setup: openldap version 2.3.11 and samba 3.0.10-1.4E.2 on centos 4.1
Currenlty I can connect using smbclient or a windows client to the shares
using ldap usernames and passwords. However when I go to add a windows 2000
machine to the domain there are some problems. The machine joins the domain
however after rebooting and trying to log in this error message pops up.
"System cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is
incorrect". To add the machine I first added an account to passwd using &>
useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -s /bin/false machinename$    and the samba
account  $>smbpasswd -a -m machinename. I'm not certain what other
information may be needed/relevant.

-robert