[Samba] Locking problem

Thu Dec 21 11:45:49 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:26:23PM +0100, Claudia Neumann wrote:
> I am using Debian Sarge with Samba version 3.0.14a-Debian and experience a
> locking problem:
> the program is a linux port of a Clipper program compiled with xHarbour
> (www.xharbour.org). It uses byte-range-locking to lock a record of a dbf
> database. If I mount the server directory over an smbmount and start 2
> clients on the server accessing the server directory over the smbmount, the
> locking functions as it should. But if I access the server directory over the
> real network with an smbmount from linux clients there is no locking.

This is not only a Samba problem, it's smbmount that is not
able to do locking.

What you need is the latest Linux cifs file system and Samba
3.0.23d Samba. Then it should work.

I think Jeremy will be delighted to go through any problems
with you if your app does not work correctly! I think
Clipper is a great test for this rather new functionality!

So, if you have any questions, feel free :-)

Volker