[Samba] Samba and NFS quota problem

Steve Goodman (lists) steve-lists at aston.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 15:44:38 GMT 2006

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has any ideas on how to solve this.

The same issue seems to occur in Red Hat EL 4 as well. CentOS 3.8 seems
to be normal with both 23d and built in 3.0.9, so does Fedora Core 6.

It seems to be something to do with NFS; though I don't know what's
happening.

If I change the window size of the NFS mount, although everythings
normal on the underlying unix box samba changes the free space on the
drive wildly. I don't think it's related to quotas but disk space. This
occurs in any samba 3 I try it on.

I've put more examples below illustrating what is happening. Does anyone
have any ideas?

NFS Server space: 17GB, free 468MB

mount -o wsize=512

Samba shows on windows: 54MB free of 2.07GB

mount -o wsize=1024

Samba shows on windows: 218MB free of 8.30GB

mount -o wsize=2048

Samba shows on windows: 109MB free of 4.15GB

Mount -o wsize=4096

Samba shows on windows: 54.6MB free of 2.07GB

mount -o wsize=8192

Samba shows on windows 27.3MB free of 1.03GB

mount -o wsize=16384

Samba shows on windows 13.6MB free of 531MB

Mount -o wsize=32768 (default?)

Samba shows on windows 6.8MB free of 265MB