[Samba] Shares mount on linux but not windows?

Brian Atkins batkins at tlcdelivers.com
Tue Dec 12 20:55:59 GMT 2006

I'm not sure if this thread is making it on the list as I'm the only one
responding, but, here goes...

The more I look, the more the problem appears to be UID range conflicts.
Some background: this machine was originally built with Samba 2.x, but
was upgraded a while back to 3.x (now 3.0.23d). I think I might be using
some deprecated configuration parameters. In smb.conf file I have:

         winbind uid = 10000-20000
         winbind gid = 10000-20000

Which, unfortunately seems to fall within the same range as the UID
range that portage (the gentoo package manager) uses to build
application user accounts (e.g., apache, stunnel, etc). I have attempted
to alter the range:

	winbind uid = 15000-20000
         winbind gid = 15000-20000

But it causes major issues, like, not being able to log in using a
domain account. I'm not sure how to fix this.

I also found a thread in the gentoo wiki that states that winbind [ug]id
is deprecated and idmap [ug]id should be used instead. I also have
noticed a lot of information regarding Samba 3.x and LDAP, but very
little regarding Samba 3.x and winbind. Is winbind still recommended for
and AD domain (w2k)?