[Samba] Homedir access rights and running KDE

Jiří Červenka cervenka at sps-pi.cz
Tue Dec 12 10:45:03 GMT 2006

Hello,
I use pam_winbind for users authentification and pam_mount for mounting homedirs stored on w2k3 fiel server.
I still have two more problems to solve:
1. I´m not able to set proper access rights on homedir. I want to set
them to 700 but after mounting the homedir access rights are set to 777.
I used to use pam_mkhomedir umask=0077 attribute to set proper rights,
but this have no effect now.
I tried to set umask and dmask attributes in pam_mount.conf but with no
success.

My volume configuration:
volume * cifs obelix students /home/& nosuid,nodev,workgroup=sps-pi - -
volume * - - /home/&/& /home/& rbind,umask=0077,nosuid,nodev - -

To make my configuration functional I have to also change this:
#lclmount /bin/mount -p0 -t %(FSTYPE) %(VOLUME) %(MNTPT)
"%(before=\"-o\" OPTIONS)"
to this:
lclmount /bin/mount -p0 %(VOLUME) %(MNTPT) -o "%(before=\"\" OPTIONS)"

How could I set access rights on homedir to 700?

2.When I log in as my network user with homedir mounted from w2k3
server, I am not able to start KDE.
When I run startx I receive this error:

Could not read network conection list
/home/username/.DCOPserver_u116-0xl__0
please check if dcopserver is running

Then the xserver shutdown and I see this:

xset:  bad font path element (#77), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/tmp-u116-0xl" to
"/tmp/kde-testov"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/tmp-u116-0xl" to
"/tmp/kde-testov4gt9h3"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/cache-u116-0xl" to
"/var/tmp/kdecache-testov"
Error: Can not create link from "/home/testov/.kde/cache-u116-0xl" to
"/var/tmp/kdecache-testovHDYsy3"
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
Could not bind to socket '/home/testov/.kde/socket-u116-0xl/kdeinit__0'
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
Could not bind to socket '/home/testov/.kde/socket-u116-0xl/kdeinit__0'
Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

I pretty sure that this error is caused by access rights. What should I
do to be able to run KDE a xserver?

Thanks for help