[Samba] Can connect to shares via IP but not hostname

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Fri Dec 8 08:55:12 GMT 2006

Scott schrieb:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> On 12/7/06, Scott <samba at troutpocket.org> wrote:
>>> Last night I upgraded my FC5 to samba-3.0.23c from 3.0.21b.  As a
>>> result I
>>> can no longer browse shares on the samba server via
>>> \\hostname\share\.  I can, however, access everything as usual via
>>> \\10.0.0.2\share\.
>>>
>>> Nothing else in my config has changed.  The hostname resolves from
>>> all machines on the domain correctly so it's doesn't appear to be a name
>>> resolution issue.  I can see the root shares on the samba server, but
>>> when
>>> I try to browse them I get the error:
>>>
>>> "\\hostname\share refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could
>>> be on
>>> a hard drive..."
>>>
>>> I reverted back to 3.0.21b and the error persists.  All clients are
>>> having
>>> the same identical problem.  TIA.
>>>
>> Is nmbd running on the server?
>
> Yes.  There are no unusual errors in smbd.log or nmbd.log, either.  I
> can see all the network shares, including those on the samba server, via
> smbtree.
>
> -Scott
Are you using ADS kerberos authentication in your network?
If so, your kerberos might be broken.

When you are using the hostname, the client tries to authenticate via
kerberos ticket. If this fails, it's over.

When you are using the IP address, the client does not get a ticket for
the server (requesting a ticket for "192.168.10.11" instead "hostname" -
but the ADS server only has a ticket for "hostname").
After that, the client uses NTLM authentication. If this succeeds you
become transparently connected to the server.

To verify, if this situation matches yours, you could examine your level
10 logs or - better - have a look at the network traces.

Bye,

Martin