[Samba] Can connect to shares via IP but not hostname

Scott samba at troutpocket.org
Thu Dec 7 17:52:59 GMT 2006

Last night I upgraded my FC5 to samba-3.0.23c from 3.0.21b.  As a result I can
no longer browse shares on the samba server via \\hostname\share\.  I can,
however, access everything as usual via \\10.0.0.2\share\.

Nothing else in my config has changed.  The hostname resolves from all machines
on the domain correctly so it's doesn't appear to be a name resolution issue.  I
can see the root shares on the samba server, but when I try to browse them I get
the error:

"\\hostname\share refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could be on a
hard drive..."

I reverted back to 3.0.21b and the error persists.  All clients are having the
same identical problem.  TIA.

-Scott