[Samba] Configure Printing with Samba part of W2K3 Domain

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Aug 31 14:31:28 GMT 2006

On 08/30/2006 10:46 PM, Nolan Garrett escreveu:
> Hello!
> I've read various information on the web, including the
> HOWTO on how to configure Printers, but I am struggling
> with making my printers publicly printable.  My samba
> server is joined to a W2K3 domain.  How do I configure
> it to be printable by anyone, even a user/system not
> part of the domain?  Here is my current config:
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         browseable = no
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>         public = yes
>         guest ok = yes
> ;       writeable = no
>         printable = yes

	Are you using 'use client driver' and 'disable spoolss'
parameters? How they are configured? What testparm tells you
about them?

	Take a look at the manpage of smb.conf about these two
parameters, on our network we use both enabled and it solves
the problem with 'access denied' printers.

> I'm using CUPS which automatically adds the printer to Samba.
> I've also got:
>
> [print$]
>         comment = Printer Driver Download Area
>         path = /etc/samba/drivers
>         browseable = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         read only = no
>
> which I cannot get to work properly.  I can upload drivers, when I go
> back and look at the page, it shows that the drivers are not installed.
>  This is less of a problem for me now - I really just want public printing!

	At what page? CUPS page?

	If you are speaking about CUPS it won't work that way,
it will give the drivers to the clients but it won't install
the drivers on the CUPS server.

> I'm running samba 3.0.23a, still waiting on an FC5 version of 3.0.23b
> (or maybe 3.0.23c, since that's coming).
>
> Thanks!
> Nolan

	I hope this helps.
	Kind regards,