[Samba] Configure Printing with Samba part of W2K3 Domain

Nolan Garrett nolan at massivegeek.com
Thu Aug 31 01:46:31 GMT 2006

Hello!

I've read various information on the web, including the HOWTO on how to
configure Printers, but I am struggling with making my printers publicly
printable.  My samba server is joined to a W2K3 domain.  How do I
configure it to be printable by anyone, even a user/system not part of
the domain?  Here is my current config:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
;       writeable = no
        printable = yes

I'm using CUPS which automatically adds the printer to Samba.  I've also
got:

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no

which I cannot get to work properly.  I can upload drivers, when I go
back and look at the page, it shows that the drivers are not installed.
 This is less of a problem for me now - I really just want public printing!

I'm running samba 3.0.23a, still waiting on an FC5 version of 3.0.23b
(or maybe 3.0.23c, since that's coming).

Thanks!

Nolan