[Samba] 100% CPU usage

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Wed Aug 30 15:55:05 GMT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
> On 08/30/2006 02:22 AM, Mary Steiner escreveu:

>> I am running Samba 2.2.7-5.8.0 on Fedora Core #1 and am having
>> a problem with smb daemons using up all of the CPU.

> 	The other thing is that *maybe* you are really under heavy
> load, so you need to upgrade the hardware or downgrade the number
> of users. ;)

I would hope that, in most cases, if the load is really high,
this would max out the machine's I/O capacity way before it
maxes out its CPU capacity.  Of course, that depends on the
hardware, but these days, CPUs are really fast, and I don't
think Samba is that inefficient...

Of course, the other suggestion is to updated to a non-ancient
version of Samba.

   - Logan