[Samba] Ports

Shaun Marolf shaun.marolf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:29:33 GMT 2006

Okay my smb.conf file is correct. Firewall is configured correctly to allow
Samba on local network. smbd and nmbd are running. Her computer still cannot
connect to my printer share. I read my Samba version wrong its actually
3.0.23a-1.fc5.1, here is my smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = HOME
	realm = SHAUN
	server string = Samba Server
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = No
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	ldap ssl = no
	admin users = shaun
	read list = shaun
	write list = shaun
	printer admin = shaun
	cups options = raw

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /usr/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[LaserJet_4]
	comment = HP LaserJet 4/4M
	path = /usr/spool/samba
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = LaserJet_4
	oplocks = No
	share modes = No

I am using Fedora Core 5

She has Windows XP Media Center Edition. I cannot see her computer at all when
I try to browse with smb4k or with my file manager.

She cannot can see my computer if I scan from her station but she cannot
connect to me. I ran a scan on SMB ports from her and they show as open so
she should see my printer but doesn't.

My firewall is reporting the attempt of ports like 35578 attempting to make an
inbound connection from her.

Did MS change things again or is there something else?

--Shaun

--
It isn't about it being free. Rather its about the freedom it brings.