[Samba] Unknown domain

Rick Dettwyler rdettwyler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:04:20 GMT 2006

I am running RHEL 2.1 and samba 2.2.12. When I try to map a network
drive on my XP workstation, I browse for folder. I see my domain. I
expand my domain and when i see my server, I click it but there are no
shares beneath. If I map the drive by entering the servername and share
as \\servername\share and click Browse, it should take me to the domain
entry but instead it shows the domain as Unknown. Me thinks this is an
AD or netbios issue.

smb.conf
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = techsupport

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server on %h

hosts allow = 192.
security - server
password server = pdc01

I can map drives using \\ipaddress\share and ipaddress\username +
password.

What is missing that it won't show up as part of a domain?
Thanks in advance.
Rick