[Samba] ftp 8x faster than samba

Yoink samba at the-breaks.com
Tue Aug 29 14:30:33 GMT 2006

I've seen this problem mentioned many times in the various FAQs and
How-Tos on the Internet, but none of the solutions presented therein
have worked for me.

[global]
         workgroup = UNIX
         server string = OPTIMUS
         interfaces = eth0
         log level = 1
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0
#       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096
#       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
#       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=262144 SO_SNDBUF=262144
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=524288 SO_SNDBUF=524288
#       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=1048576 SO_SNDBUF=1048576
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 65
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         ldap ssl = no
         admin users = root
         hosts allow = 192.168.1.
         getwd cache = yes
         lpq cache = 30
         use sendfile = yes
         dnsproxy = no
         netbios name = xxxxxxx
         oplocks = yes

I started out with the default configuration and tried all the commented
out socket options. The 512k buffer about doubled my speed but my test
file transfer (700Mb file) is still much faster under ftp than samba. I
transfer my test file in 24 seconds under ftp and 2-4 minutes under samba.

Both interfaces are on both computers are fine and the duplex settings
are correct and error free.

I tried removing the *.tdb files, no help.

This gigabit connection should always be performing as it does under
ftp, any advice?