[Samba] Concern about 3.0.22->3.0.23b upgrade (algorithmic SIDs issue)

Michael Deutschmann michael at talamasca.ocis.net
Thu Aug 24 10:21:49 GMT 2006

I'm compiling samba-3.0.23b as I write this.  However, after studying the
documentation, I have some serious concerns about installing it.

The WHATSNEW file says that the method of mapping unix-native uids and
gids to SIDs has changed since 3.0.22.  As I read this, this would imply
that upgrading Samba will cause much breakage because domain users will no
longer be able to access files they saved on their own harddisks.

The obvious way to fix this is to insert explicit mappings to the (now
legacy) algorithmic SIDs into Samba.  But while it is possible to do this
with the "net groupmap" command for gids, there's no "net usermap" command
to do it with uids.  And the user IDs are the bulk of the problem.

As I read the documentation, dumping the winbindd database, tampering
with it, and then restoring it might have the needed effect.  But I don't
use winbindd....

So, what's the procedure for a _seamless_ 22 -> 23b upgrade?

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael at talamasca.ocis.net>