[Samba]UPDATE: Copying Windows 2K & XP Profi....

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Aug 23 22:13:03 GMT 2006

Robert Adkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    In my effort to make the switchover as smooth as possible, I am
> thinking that I could copy a user's roaming profile off their
> workstation to the profile share on the Samba 3.x server, set the
> permissions and then take the workstation off the old domain, put it
> on the new domain and then login with the user and just like that, be
> done with it.
>
>     Is this going to be problematic or is there something I could be
> missing that will cause this to backfire on me?

    I gave it a go.

    ...and found out that it just won't fly. I reset all the permissions
on the files to match the permissions of the newly created profile for
the test account I created. (Save that the profile was set to be owned
by the actual user.)

    I fired up their login on the domain, at the workstation and it
seemed to load up fine, except Microsoft Outlooked decided that it had
never been installed in that user account before, which it shouldn't
have done as the users NT profile should have been downloaded to the
workstation from the server's copy.

    Anyway, I had to delete the whole user profile and create it through
the a "fresh" login and then "trick" MS Outlook into using the right
files AFTER it did it's install.

    -Rob